Sunday, October 7, 2007

A food for thought - The issue of organs donation.

The news of Teh Hui Yee undergoes heart transplant caught my eyes. Besides worrying about her condition, the issues of organ donation and transplantation also a part of the news which interest me.

How many of you guys out there have ever come across with this issue of organ donation? I wonder…

Organ donation, is always a difficult issue to think about, left alone to be talk.
Many don’t have the courage to donate their organs after death, some think that it is painful when your organs are to be cut out from your body. Some are lack of exposure to this issue and unaware of the importance of the role they are playing. Some are due to the family members are not willing to donate the organs of their loved one after their death due the pain of losing them and not willing to see their loved one to be operate, and want to them to rest in peace.
And, I believe people with conservative mind (not all, but most of them) have this thought of die with the complete body than donate them to the others.
This is just few out of the thousand reasons, and the rest of them, I don’t quite sure.

Let me bring you to the point.


Organ donation is the gift of one’s body parts after death for transplantation.
Transplantation is an operation which replaces diseased and defective organs and tissues with healthy ones from donors.
Organ that can be donate including kidneys, heart, liver, lungs and pancreas, and the tissues are eyes, bone, skin and heart valves.
Organs and tissues will be removed from the donor’s body when death has been confirmed by two registered doctors. The doctors involved with certification of death are not involved in the transplant operation.

Some may ask. What about the religious objection?
Well, don’t worry about it. That won’t be a problem at all because Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and Sikhism recognize organ and tissue donation as the ultimate act of charity and benevolence.
And the process of organ donation will not delay the funeral at all. Following the removal of the organs and tissues, the body will be cleaned, draped and returned to the family within the shortest possible time.
Organ donation does not require any terms and conditions.
Anyone can sign up. If you are below 18, you will need parental/guardian consent.

How to get sign up to be donor?
Well, it is as simple as a piece of cake. Just complete a donor pledge form and forward it to the National Transplant Resource Centre. Then, you will receive a registration card from the centre.
One more thing, please inform your family that you are an organ and tissue donor.
This is a serious issue that will cause conflict when the donor signs up without the family’s knowledge.

After all those information above, I hope you people will more or less know about the organ donation.

Then, I would like to share my point of view regarding the issue.
Ever since I was a primary school kid, I have always thought of to donate my organs and tissues after I die. (Seriously... and I'm not blowing my own trumpet to have this thought when I was so young. At times, I wonder why I'll have this thought though when I was only a little tiny dot? Haha.)
I told myself I want to be cremate after I die, to save the land besides do not wish to trouble the family to clean the grave.
So, since all my organs and tissues will be burn to ashes during the cremation, why not I donate them to those who need them in order to survive?

I voice my thought to the parents last year after much consideration about it.
So happened there is this case of the 19 years old college students who donated his organs and tissues after he's dead due to the brain tumour.
In the school, few of the friends were thinking of signing up to be donor too.
However, the parents disagree with me, and yes, they are those who with the conservative mind.
And I fail to sign up to be a donor of course, because I was below 18 years old that time.

Now, I’m thinking of signing up as a donor soon, and I will persuade the parents to let me so.
What about you?

An issue to ponder about and decision is yet to be make...

No comments: